Monday, September 1, 2008

Review of the ProAm 250 Camera Jib

I just purchased the ProAm 250 Camera jib.  I've used it for two days on a studio shoot using the 8ft length. 

It's a great little jib for small cameras, extremely easy to assemble and operate. 
The kit came with the standard 8ft arm, plus the 4ft extension for a total possible length of 12ft.
It also came with a tripod stand, 7 in monitor, cabling for camera controls, and mounting gear. 

I had to add my own weights for counterbalance, which was fairly simple to do.

I used it in the 8ft. configuration, and needed about 18 lbs of counterweights to balance my Panasonic DVX100B camera, cabling, and accessories.
To fine tune the balance I improvised with 5-6 AA batteries taped to the back end of the boom. These had just enough weight to really get an accurate balance.

The jib worked very well for the shots we needed to get. It's a little awkward (probably a learning curve for me) to use the camera tilt function, it works well, but is not the smoothest thing. I'll likely purchase a motorized head for better camera movement controls in the future.

Overall, I'm thrilled to be able to add it to my gear list, and look forward to using it more in the future. 

Conrad 



No comments: